Friday, September 19, 2008

that's just not "fair"

I'm fully aware I am fair skinned. I have red hair, blue eyes, freckles, and light skin. I got it - I'm a ginger. You can always tell when I'm blushing, my skin turns pink when I get hot, and I'll never be bronze - SPF 30 rules my world. The subject typically gets thrown into the spotlight during particular events, makeup shopping being one of them.

Oh the joys.

So I was in Ulta Beauty today picking up a few Bare Minerals products that I was running low on. Ulta, like many other high-end cosmetic stores, has sales clerks at each counter to assist you in getting the colors and products you need. Here we go...

-"Can I help you?"
"Yeah, I need some more concealer. I think it's called bisque or something."
-"Honey bisque, summer bisque, dark bisque, or just the bisque?"
"Um, the light one?"
-"Really? Are you sure?"
At this point, I'm wondering if this girl is retarded. Clearly she can see my skintone. Clearly she is not blind. "Honey" and "dark" just aren't a good match.
"Really. Oh and I also need some more foundation, in the Fair shade."
-"Fair? Wow, you really are pale."

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Miss Olive-Complexion-Clerk with your dark brunette hair. In case you didn't notice, I'm a red. And the term is not "pale" its "fair. At least my skin isn't compared to a smelly fruit used to make oil and garnish martinis.

Sticking up for gingers, and other "fairs", everywhere,
Tiney

No comments: