Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Will There Ever Be A Day...

My sister and I have worked for the same company since - well basically since we've held jobs. Oh, the lovely years spent at Publix. We've worked in various stores, worked for hundreds of different managers, watched about a dozen of our friends move up the line, and dealt with thousands of off-the-wall employees. Not to mention the millions of daily customers we greet. By now, the two of us have moved up and out and no longer work in the same stores. I'm the Administrative Coordinator in Fleming Island, doing personnel stuff and payroll and dealing with an absolutely psychotic department manager. And she is Customer Service in Middleburg, running the front end and helping customers and dealing with a retarded assistant department manager. Every night the same thing happens. Sister works late, getting home around 11, while I work the mornings, so I'm already home. She'll start making her late night dinner, and we chat. Oh, our Publix chatter. They say it's not healthy to take your work home with you - clearly that doesn't apply to us. Our conversations typically go something like this...

T-"My manager was absolutely ridiculous today. She told me to get rid of the cabinet in my office because she couldn't SEE me at my desk through the door window when she walked by. This is, of course, after she went through my mailbox, took out the memos from the store manager and responded to them before I even read them. Psycho much?"

M-"That's ok. My manager is leaving us post-it notes on the Lotto machine reminding us to balance it 5 times a day. And taping e-mails on the back office door. And she sent all my cashiers and baggers home early leaving me short handed the rest of the night. Oh, and she's writing 'nasty grams' about all the wrong stuff we are doing and putting them in our personnel files."

T-"Dude- I bet your A/C is throwing them away, that's ridiculous! The CSTL at my store is simply retarded. She tried to type a memo to the cashiers warning them about coupon fraud. Now Sister, spell exceptions for me."

M-"E-x-c-e-p-t-i-o-n-s."

T-"Yeah, try 'No a-c-c-e-p-t-i-o-n-s.' Idiot."

M-"Nice. Yeah, at my store, the assistant wants to be sure that 'acuracy' is maintained at all times in the Lotto til. Nice one."

T-"Hey Sister, do you think there will ever be a day when we come home and don't have stories to tell?"

M-"Not as long as we're at Publix."

Trying to keep things "a pleasure,"
Tiney Weenie

No comments: