Tuesday, March 3, 2009

If the NY Times said it....

For those of you who don't already know, I'm a psych minor. It's intriguing, truly. So when I find an article or website or something that relates to my daily discussions, I'm even more intrigued. An ongoing topic that comes up in all development classes, child psych, and perception classes is how television affects child development.

Does the TV help or hurt a child's development?

Believe it or not people have made millions of dollars off videos and programs that make your baby a "genius" or "the next Harvard grad."

News Flash people. It's not true.

There is such a thing called mirror neurons. The physiology of it is super complicated but to explain it simply, these neurons are dedicated simply to mimicking behavior. Period. So those kids who were saying "cat" "dog" "red" on the commercials learned through mimicking. Their brains haven't actually developed enough to know WHAT that is, just repetition. That's all. So save your money and relax!! Your baby could very well be the next Harvard grad, no videos necessary.

The good news is that no evidence shows that TV harms development like some have said. I'm not a mom yet, but I do know a few. And they've told me flat that the TV is their savior when it comes to some much needed "me time." So go ahead moms, TV away. And later in life when I do become a Mom, I'll feel safe while my kid is in front of the tube.

Taking note for future reference,
Tiney Weenie

No comments: