Sunday, March 22, 2009

So Sad It's Over

Today is my last day of Spring Break '09 and I must say, it was an eventful one. Ok, so I wasn't one of those super hip-and-with-it students who went to the Bahamas or the Keys or anything like that. Lucky students! But I did stay in Jacksonville and had a fantastic time anyways. Who said you have to go somewhere to have an adventure?

My spring break actually started on a Friday because my UNF professors love vacations and think Friday classes are a crime. I completely agree. OfficerTripp and I planned a fantastic beach day full of sunshine, sand, and beautiful ocean. Too bad we didn't check the weather before we left! Ooops. Cloudy skies surrounded us and the winds made it very chilly!
Yuck. Solution to problem = The Lemon Bar. This tiny little Neptune Beach treasure is by far one of my favorite hot spots. This quaint little beach-side hotel bar comes complete with tables in the sand (to capture that good ole' beachy feel), an array of diverse regulars, and of course a view!

The next day we celebrated our friend William's birthday with the annual Williamfest. What an event that was! He informed me that each Williamfest had it's own personality and the previous parties had their own distinctive stories at the end. Want to know what came out of Williamfest '09?
A backyard full of barricades and barrels! EEEEEEEEEEKK was almost exactly my reaction the next morning when I found them! But the party was a ton of fun and a huge success.

[Side Note: We quickly discovered it's a federal offense to steal barricades from construction sites. Please don't call the cops on us, they've been removed. Thanks for the tip Goose!!]

Monday was a back-to-work day for all of us, but keeping up with the Spring Break spirit, OBrien, Siprelle, and OfficerTripp and I planned more festivities that afternoon. It was a beautiful day so there was only one solution = The Lemon Bar (again!). What's a better way to wind down from your day than having a few drinks with good company at our fave beach hangout? Once again, we didn't check they hourly weather reports until driving there.

Any Floridian knows that this is how the great Sunshine State works sometimes. One hour it's beautiful, and then the rainclouds come. No biggie! We'll make the best of it. And we did, nonetheless.

For years UNF has scheduled their spring break week just a little off from every other state university in Florida. The fact that my friends all over the state vacationed separately from me used to bother me. Then I realized how lucky I had it. Thank you UNF for scheduling your spring break to cover my favorite holiday, St. Patrick's Day! My Irish siblings and I decided to hit up Jacksonville Beach for this years St. Patrick's Day, as they have an assortment of traditional pubs. If you are in the area and have a thing for Irish Pubs, I suggest Culhane's, Fionn MacCools, Lynch's, and of course the Fly's Tie. Each one offers great traditional foods and most have daily live music. We spent the day visiting each one and finishing off at Lynch's. I dub this years festivities a success.

The rest of the week went accordingly. I juggled work and sleep and tried to fit in as much social time as possible. It's not everyday I get to spend a week with my favorite people.

The week finally concluded with an evening on the porch at Mellow Mushroom listening to the tunes Nate Holley. I suggest all of you look him up, he is by far our favorite local musician and you can catch him playing most nights of the week. His regular venues inclue the Fly's Tie, Freebird Live, and both the Southside and Fleming Island Mellow Mushrooms. Despite the fact that Florida weather had creeped up on us again the temperature dropped about 15 degrees (OfficerTripp and I are cursed for sure!) it was a blast.

Today is Sunday and I'm so thankful for a chance to relax after such a week! But I can't slow down now. I'm booked for the next month, literally! One weekend in Memphis and one in Tampa and somewhere in there I have a 22nd birthday. Don't worry, my Mac will be going with me to all of these places and I'll be sure to blog and tweet the weekends away.

Until then,
The Tiney Weenie

No comments: